Will refusing to be examined affect my claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will refusing to be examined affect my claim?

Melin
Melin Community member Posts: 77 Connected
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a pip assesment yesterday and waited for an hour to be seen as my appointment was delayed l have got OA at my back and knees and at my spine so l can't sit for a long time without pain l answered all the questions atos asked me but for the examination she said she can see l am in a lot of pain and l can refuse to be examined because of my pain but after the assessment l have noticed that l will maybe not be able to get a award because l have refused to be examined please can someone give me some advice 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @melin

Good Evening & Welcome ??

It’s great to meet you today.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you with anything????

@steve51

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Melin welcome to the community! 

I am not sure myself however members of our community will know and will be in contact with you soon. Please try not to worry :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Melin
    Hi thankyou for your replies probably l just need to wait and see what's going to happen does anyone know how long it will take dwp to send me the decision ?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It can vary if there is a backlog of claims in your area.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • stree
    stree Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    I doubt it will go against you. The HCP noticed you were in pain and decided that it was not in your interest to proceed with any test that may have caused you further pain.
    This is NOT the same as you refusing, which would go against you.
    Sounds like you had a decent assessor, I would not worry about it if I were you.
    Good luck with it all.
  • Melin
    Hi just a quick update just received a text from dwp saying they have got the written report from the ftf assessment they will write to me when they will made a decision. 
  • Willwill
    Willwill Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    hello Melin ,, I believe takesabout 8 weeks to decision
  • Lee123
    Lee123 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Hi
    If they have your assessment you can ask them to send you a copy
    Also I was unable to do examination and I still won my tribunal and got standard daily and enhanced mobility so no it doesn't go against you 
  • Lee123
    Lee123 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    And mine was a paper based hearing just so you know 
  • Bungalow
    Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    I had a similar problem at my assessment , I refused to do certain movements and explained it would give me severe pain if I attempted them. They did put on my award unable to do a squat, lift right arm up. It didn't effect my claim for refusing to do them. It was laughable when she asked me to squat holding on with one hand on the table . My husband laughed and said think ill have to stand behind her she hasn't squatted for years :smile:
  • Melin
    Thankyou for all your replies l am just to nervous about waiting for another 6 weeks as l applied at october and still waiting hopefully not for long as it says on the text message l will hear from them in 6 weeks but hopefully fingers crossed. 
  • Bungalow
    Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Mine was completed in two weeks so it varies , hope your's is sooner :smile:
  • Melin
    Hi update and confused called Dwp today to ask about my pip claim decision the adviser on phone said the decision has been made and a letter has been sent out he said he can't see the decision on the screen but it just says a new award has been made he told me to call back on monday got very confused 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Melin said:
    Hi update and confused called Dwp today to ask about my pip claim decision the adviser on phone said the decision has been made and a letter has been sent out he said he can't see the decision on the screen but it just says a new award has been made he told me to call back on monday got very confused 
    Once a decision's been made it can take 24 hours to transfer from one computer to another, until this is done they can't see the decision. You were advised correctly, ring back Monday any they'll be able to tell you what the decision is. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.