Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Update on me, the pandemic and my mental health
Not been around much and the pandemic hasn't helped, more about that later. Since I joined (March 2018) at lot has happened in my life which has had serious impact on my mental health. I've revisited some really dark places, I don't want to elaborate as it might trigger others. On a brighter note, I've had some high moments too. I now do volunteer work with a local charity helping those suffering loneliness and isolation, I campaign against Stigma and discrimination in mental health, I support a local Art's and Craft group for people struggling with mental and physical disabilities. During the Pandemic all the above groups have had to either stop or find alternative strategies. Isolation and Loneliness now produce a monthly newsletter which is distributed to members by a team of volunteers who socially distance but make a personal contact and offer help with shopping or other needs, it also contacts every member by phone, email or visit every week. Sadly, Arts and Craft has had to stop it's meetings due to the venue being closed, likewise the weekly Bingo group that I run every Thursday, though we did try outdoors but it didn't work out weather wise given the age and health of the members. These have been highlights to help cope with the pandemic, though my personal mental health has seen me hospitalised twice since the start. Not sure about others but the longer it goes on and the general confusion surrounding lockdowns, it is a daily struggle to either be motivated or just exist. Life will never be normal again I think and there doesn't seem the support for those with disabilities or mental health issues.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 575 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 674 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.