Are you Jinxed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you Jinxed?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering

Are you Jinxed? 9 votes

Yes
55% 5 votes
No
44% 4 votes

Comments

• fluffycat
    I swear there must of been a full moon or something when born.

I have a continuing catalogue of errors and wonder why deserve to be jinxed?

• adamskis
    adamskis Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    No, my body is prone to doing terrible things, but that doesn’t make me Jinxed.
    I choose to be a positive force, and to push myself upwards as often as possible, so when negative things happen, it’s no jinx, it’s just the universe pushing back.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t understand the question :D
  • fluffycat
    66Mustang said:
    I don’t understand the question :D
    If you have seen the tv programme ‘One Foot In The Grave’
    are you like the man in it LOL?

He sums me up and often I say “I can’t believe it!” as all too often things go belly-up.

Even a friend commented how unlucky I am!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Ahhhhh I see!!

Sorry to hear that :( 

To be honest a lot of unlucky things have happened to me but quite a few lucky things have happened as well.

I try to appreciate the lucky things, and learn from the things that went wrong so hopefully they don’t happen again!

Is that maybe something you could do?
  • fluffycat
    @66Mustang

I wish I could be a little more laid back, but difficult. 

I do get more woes than the average bod.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I think its just life my life is like a roller coaster it has alot of ups and downs and sometimes I feel upside down lol 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @fluffycat, I wrote somewhere else today about growth through adversity, or at least attempting it if you feel it’s within your bounds. We do have that choice when confronted with travails, whether to become upset and let the matter bring turbulence or to ride the waves of life like a cool surfer.
     I know sometimes it’s easier said than done but if we can do something about a situation then we can, and if we can’t do anything then why let it provoke that uncomfortable turbulence. Again, they are opportunities or obstacles, the choice is ours.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    After a few years of unfortunate events, one illness after another. I am at the point of thinking I am jinxed, after all my life believing it was just superstition.
    Maybe I get it from my mother's side, they were all superstitious.
    But I have had many fortunate events happen in my life and hope to have more. One outweighs the other, I suppose.
    I will keep on looking on the brighter side of life and keep my fingers crossed. ? 

• adamskis
    After a few years of unfortunate events, one illness after another. I am at the point of thinking I am jinxed, after all my life believing it was just superstition.
    Maybe I get it from my mother's side, they were all superstitious.
    But I have had many fortunate events happen in my life and hope to have more. One outweighs the other, I suppose.
    I will keep on looking on the brighter side of life and keep my fingers crossed. ? 

This is my attitude also.
    the last three years have been “a bit” negative, but prior to that everyone told me how lucky I was…I wasn’t, I just worked harder than most.

it’s always easy to judge yourself against that person jogging down the street to go into their lovely big home, and flash car, but people don’t see those comparing themselves to them, and wishing they had that.

Jinx is just deciding to compare yourself solely aspirationally. Not to take a moment to count all of your blessings AS WELL as looking longingly at the things you wish you had.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @adamskis said ‘prior to that everyone told me how lucky I was…I wasn’t, I just worked harder than most.’
    I remember a famous woman tennis player being interviewed on TV being asked if she thought she’d been lucky with some of her shots which won her the match. She replied “yes, the more skilled I’ve become the luckier I’ve got.”  

She meant of course that it wasn’t luck it was skill through training and hard work. ?

we are very very good at making patterns when there aren’t any really. There was a time when I was young when I suffered long runs of bad luck, some may have called it Karma. Eventually things came good as my skilfulness in living increased and my luck has been average ever since....touch wood! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• adamskis
    leeCal said:
    @adamskis said ‘prior to that everyone told me how lucky I was…I wasn’t, I just worked harder than most.’
    I remember a famous woman tennis player being interviewed on TV being asked if she thought she’d been lucky with some of her shots which won her the match. She replied “yes, the more skilled I’ve become the luckier I’ve got.”  

She meant of course that it wasn’t luck it was skill through training and hard work. ?

we are very very good at making patterns when there aren’t any really. There was a time when I was young when I suffered long runs of bad luck, some may have called it Karma. Eventually things came good as my skilfulness in living increased and my luck has been average ever since....touch wood! ?
    Mine has failed me slightly for a year or two, but I am back getting “luckier” again with my online shop and Luthiery!

I was moaning to myself the other day, and I had to have a little word in my own ear, I was missing my farmhouse in Italy, and cottage in France…I still have places over there, just not as flash, and tbh, most people would be overjoyed to have them.
    so I had a think, recalibrated my expectations again, and counted my blessings.
  • fluffycat
    @leeCal The same friend thinks I was a ‘bad administrator’ in a former life, why get more than my fair share of maladministration / kerfuffle. It grinds you down and I feel like I’m on the attack, all the time. Frankly tiresome!! One example Energy company are coming to swap over electricity meter though know full well it’s my gas one on the way out. (Confirmed in letter / text) Another, have had several pre-op appointments that have timed out over few years and finally when got a surgery date, it was cancelled due to pandemic LOL! (Not making light of pandemic)
  • adamskis
    It does feel like that…I am really having a tough time being positive at the moment, got told I am being registered as partially sighted, and that I have Alzheimer’s this last two weeks, but I will come back up fighting soon.

I work on the “fake it to make it” principle. I tell myself all is good, act as though all is good, and stone me, before you know it…all is good!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.