Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal credit reduction advise. My partner works away a lot- is there anything we can do?

Deman2kDeman2k Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 17 in Universal Credit
Hi I receive UC due to disabilities. 

During the summer months my partner works away from home, and she can be away for 5 or 6 months.

While she's working our benefit is reduced, which I understand, however I think we're getting penalised to harshly, as our costs drastically increase as we technically live at two different addresses (only while she works). So we pay 2 lots of rent, food and bills.

I realise this is a bizarre situation, but is there anything that we can do, may be request a tax rebate on her pay check to help with lessening the additional living costs? 




  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @Deman2k, Hello and welcome, I don’t think you can. Have you written on your journal your situation and explained your circumstances asking for advice. I know Universal Credit is a had and fast criteria for claiming and the deductions are rigorously applied. When I applied even thou I was medically retired I still have to agree to look for work, agree to travel for 90 minutes and work for the minimum wage all this when talking to the agent and informed her I retired the very next day drawing my state pension. There was nothing in the system to allow for people in my situation. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,484 Disability Gamechanger
    @Deman2k good afternoon and welcome to scope.
    Do I understand correctly that for 5 or 6 months a year your OH works but not for the rest of the year?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    If it was longer than 6 months you could look into the Temporary Absence guidance on whether it should be treated as a single claim @Deman2k.

    Temporary absence
    E2030 A person who is living away from their partner ceases to be treated as a member of a couple and part of the same benefit unit where they are
    1. absent from the household or
    2. expected to be absent from the household for 6 months1 or more. Note: Different rules apply where that temporary absence is from GB (see ADM Chapter E1) 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Thanks @chiarieds, I'll try and remember to share the source in future too! :)
Sign in or join us to comment.