Evidence, keep, send or bin? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Evidence, keep, send or bin?

Options
Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
So I'm entering the world of pain that is a pip review form that I asked for due to worsening condition...
I have plenty of new evidence from psychiatrist and mental health team letters, with plenty of detail and it's tempting to send each one but I'm trying to narrow it down, which is hard, knowing which to pick and worrying about picking the wrong ones.
Also my wca report I think I will definitely send as its just one side of A4.

The letter filled in by my GP for wca I'm undecided as to whether or not to send.
She has ticked the 'communicating with others'
Box and the 'coping with changes or social engagement box'
And when asked 'Could patient travel to an examination center by public transport or taxi?'
She has ticked the no box.

She has written recurrent depression and anxiety and that raised platelets and tiredness were being investigated.
I was since prescribed vit d, folic acid and ferrous sulphate.

Should I include this?
The many psychiatrist letters go in more detail but obviously they are both just repeating what I have told them with their own observations etc.

And I know that my own written evidence re the descriptors is a huge part.

Also, one last thing, I asked before but just got the one opinion (ta, woodbine :)  )and I'd like more if anyone feels able...I stated that one of the causes of my anxiety and depression was the violence towards me of my son who has LD and Autisim.
I have pictures of the substantial bruising I had on arms and legs...should I include these?

Thanks for wading through and any opinions appreciated  :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The letter filled in by your GP with the tick boxes is of little help in my opinion because it doesn't go into any detail. If evidence doesn't clearly state how your conditions affect you then don't send it.

For your medication then just send a repeat prescription list.

Same for the letters from the psychiatrist, unless they state how your conditions affect you then i wouldn't send them. The best person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself. Your anecdotal evidence with the examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity is the best you can send.

With the pictures, personally i wouldn't send them because they could be photo's of anyone but if you think they'll help then send them. Less is more.

For my review, the only thing i sent was my repeat prescrioptions list. I have no other evidence because i don't see anyone apart from my GP. I was discharged from the pain clinic about 5 years ago. Although i did go back just before the pandemic and i was told agian "there's nothing more they can do."  It was my enecdotal evidence that got me my paper based review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456
    I have to do the hard slog don't I? :# I just have this fear of not being able to convey everything I want to say in the right way for the purpose of the descriptors...thinking it can't be left down to me! I don't know what I'm talking about! Lol

And after a session with a new mental health nurse she told me I'd just spent an hour minimising very traumatic events..so I want to address that without dramatising...I fear on the one hand the pictures could be seen as dramatising and on the other..seen as showing exactly how it is. ..as it were.

I'll limit myself to one of the psychiatrists reports, the wca report and have another think about the pictures.

Thank you again Poppy for taking the time. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,104 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @Cress - decisions, decisions! Personally I would certainly document the 'traumatic events,' as mentioned by your MH nurse, as they illustrate why you suffer from anxiety & depression, but I'm unsure about photos too. Yes, your detailed anecdotal evidence, as you know, is the main part. Good luck. :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you should include that you feel is relevant, but you need to be selective as they won't have time to read through reams and reams of it i'm afraid.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cress
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and advice,  really needed and appreciated!

I will document events and their effect. I also really like the idea of quoting the highlights of each piece of evidence...I was going through it all wishing I could put the most useful bits of it in, not thinking that of course I could just put them all on a seperate piece of paper.

I have my first pip form and uc50 to refer too as well...so in a way part of its already written I suppose and I won't be starting from zilch.
    I think the pics are going to be a last minute decision...undecided still

I love you all! (Hugs)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For mine, I did put in a few things that others would deem unnecessary in the end.  They don't show functional ability or directly fit a descriptor, but help with the 'all round' picture that could otherwise cause doubt.  As I can't have a phone call to confirm anything, I felt it was better in my case to add the extra paperwork rather than regret missing something.  I suppose I've got a bit more peace of mind that I've done all I can to get the correct award in my circumstances. 

• Cress
    Options
    Totally get where your coming from. @OverlyAnxious

Myself on my first application I'd sent reams of medical records using a highlighter on what I thought relevant but this time I want to give more written detail of my experience. 

Confidence, being an issue I thought the more 'official' looking medical evidence would be better then my own evidence but I'm going to put more thought into it now, on each of the descriptors. Detail will be my friend...I hope. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.