PIP 2022

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,312 Championing
    scottwm said:
    Is MR or tribunal successful much? 

Only 27% of decisions change at MR stage so most don't change. Tribunal if you either appear in person or have telephone or video hearing it's about 70% success rate. Paper based hearings have very low success of between 5-8%.
  • Jinny007
    Jinny007 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi, my son has received his PIP decision and has 6 points for daily living. He didn't get any points for "Making budgeting decisions". How do I prove that he can't "manage complex budgeting decisions unaided"? He did an online shop the other day which came to over £300 as he couldn't decide on just one pack of biscuits, for example. I had to wittle it down to a manageable amount and decide which biscuits he could have. When he gets his benefit money, he lets me have most of it and I let him have it back in small amounts, otherwise it will all go straight away. I can't see how I can prove that he can't budget unaided. thanks.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities

Complex budgeting decisions are those that are involved in calculating household and personal budgets, managing and paying bills and planning future purchases.
    Simple budgeting decisions are those that are involved in activities such as calculating the cost of goods and change required following purchases.

All you can do is give examples such as the one you have given above.

• Jinny007
    Jinny007 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I haven't seen that gov.uk page before, so thanks for that. I did say on the claim that his parents have Power of Attorney for him and we check that his bank balance is in credit every day. I put that he doesn't check his balance before he pays for anything. He doesn't have any short term memory, which his doctor has said is due to his anxiety. This hasn't been taken into account either because he has "no diagnosed cognitive or memory impairments." He doesn't remember if we go anywhere, or if he sees a friend.
  • sanam13
    sanam13 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Hey everyone hope all are well, still waiting on my outcome havent yet recived any response or reply about pip wonder whats taking so long 
  • poppy123456
    sanam13 said:
    Hey everyone hope all are well, still waiting on my outcome havent yet recived any response or reply about pip wonder whats taking so long 

Once the report is returned timescales are 2-12 weeks.
  • sanam13
    Hey update so today i have recived the letter which they have said the daily living has been awarded as i was already on the daily living but nonpoints for mobility saying i do not use any aids which i clearly use a stick for due to sciotica also as i see the points are 11 and they have gone with the assesors report..they have not considered my physical health scored me on my mental health but scored me 0 for incontinence although i should have got somthing for that, i am going to appeal!!
  • sanam13
    @Scottwm i know i can relate people have hidden disabilities and seem normsl but i have suffered a heart attack and since may had 3 episodes where i was taken in emergency and had my heart restarted but seems like no it wasnt enough for them to consider giving whats rightfully asked for yes the diagnosis is not considered but a heart attack leaves damages with which u are not able to do alot of activities but no its not important my mental health is through the roof im on antidepressants but they say i do not take anything for anxiety and ive been on betablockers for as long as i know 
  • poppy123456
    Yes and my daughters know everything about my health conditions too…. Not! 
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 1,374 Empowering

Note from online community team:

Where possible we like all discussions to continue, but we’re choosing to pause this discussion for now so things can cool down and we can review it. For more information, please read our online community house rules.

We will review it and if we are satisfied the discussion can continue, we will hope to un-pause it by tomorrow.

To request an account deletion, please email us at community@scope.org.uk

• Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 1,374 Empowering

Note from online community team:

Following review, we have now unpaused this discussion.

Please remember that all discussions on Scope’s online community should remain civil, supportive, and safe.

• sanam13
    Update so ive asked for an MR as my doctor has wrote a supporting letter jn which he has written how i struggle with daily life as well as mobility fingers crossed i get a good outcome..
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Thanks for your update @sanam13 let us know how things go. Whatever the result of the MR, the community are here to support you :) 
  • sanam13
    Hey everyone..happy new year, well i call today for an update after sending alit of evidence including a brilliant supporting letter from the doctor, only to be told that decision hasnt been changed.. the only thing im concerned about is i sent evidence 4 week ago which i wss told last wednesdsy hasnt been recived so i sent in latter from doc and all the supporting evidence again which was only recived last thursday so how is the decision not been changed is it that they recived the other evidence and looked at that rather than looking at doctors letter.. any how im going to appeal it as the MR wasnt succesful so how long is the courts taking?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2023
    sanam13 said:
    Hey everyone..happy new year, well i call today for an update after sending alit of evidence including a brilliant supporting letter from the doctor, only to be told that decision hasnt been changed.. the only thing im concerned about is i sent evidence 4 week ago which i wss told last wednesdsy hasnt been recived so i sent in latter from doc and all the supporting evidence again which was only recived last thursday so how is the decision not been changed is it that they recived the other evidence and looked at that rather than looking at doctors letter.. any how im going to appeal it as the MR wasnt succesful so how long is the courts taking?

That's not surprising because only about 23% of MR decisions change. The most likely outcome is usually the decision remains the same.

You can now request the Tribunal but please remember it's not a court and you're not on trial. Letters from doctors/GPs aren't the best to send because they don't spend any time with you to see you wash/dress/undress/prepare a meal etc etc. They will only know the basics, if they know anything else it's because you've told them.

The best evidence you can send is your anecdotal evidence, a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you.

Waiting times for Tribunal hearings can be as long as several months, sometimes longer. Appearing in person, telephone hearing or video hearing will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

Before DWP respond they will review all your evidence and sometimes they make an offer of an award but you shouldn't rely on this because it's not guaranteed.
  • sanam13
    @poppy123456 thank you hun i will be asking my son and sister to do some letters as they care for me mainly help with daily living,

Im waiting for the letter for tribunal but i will go ahead with it
  • sanam13
    Hey jus wondered if anyone would know anything or heard about this before....so i sent in wvidencw letter from the gp which was quiet detailed and letter written by my son who cares for me turns out they havnt recived it and made decision on MR jus like that so i called up and asked to speak to dm as i rung and told them to wait till the evidence arrives an the lady ssid she will make sure the decision will be made after the evidence was there an considered, anyhow the gentlman i spoke to said its not on the system although it must be recived as it was recoredred so they cant say it got lost and he also said to call back after a week for an update meanwhile he said il make a note to dm to reconsider the  evidence when its recived before appeal.. has that ever happend to anyone?
  • poppy123456
    sanam13 said:
    Hey jus wondered if anyone would know anything or heard about this before....so i sent in wvidencw letter from the gp which was quiet detailed and letter written by my son who cares for me turns out they havnt recived it and made decision on MR jus like that so i called up and asked to speak to dm as i rung and told them to wait till the evidence arrives an the lady ssid she will make sure the decision will be made after the evidence was there an considered, anyhow the gentlman i spoke to said its not on the system although it must be recived as it was recoredred so they cant say it got lost and he also said to call back after a week for an update meanwhile he said il make a note to dm to reconsider the  evidence when its recived before appeal.. has that ever happend to anyone?

Sending letters by signed for delivery doesn't mean anything for DWP because they are signed for by someone from Royal Mail sorting office and not someone from DWP. It means they are somewhere in the building of the sorting office. It's not classed as arriving until it's been added to the computer which can take a few weeks.

When you request the Tribunal before DWP respond they will review all your evidence, once this is done sometimes they make an offer of an award but it's rare for this to happen so please don't expect it. You still need to continue with Tribunal request.