PIP 2022

Comments

• diabeticrik
    diabeticrik Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi everyone, I started my claim December 1st and have had my assessment, I called the pip helpline 4 weeks ago to let them know I had been given a new diagnosis, I know it's not based on conditions but I wanted to be truthful about everything. At the same time a very friendly advisor told me what the assessor scored me (8 on each) and that it was with the DM and advised me to call on the 11/04 if I hadn't heard back. I called today and was speaking with a very abrupt and rude advisor who basically said she would email the DM to send me a letter by the end of the week (not holding my breath with bank holiday) but the way she was speaking was as if my claim had been declined. To cut a long story short I'm already anxious and down due to the long wait already and now I'm even more anxious about my claim, has anyone else been quoted a score for it to be changed. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,312 Championing
    Hi everyone, I started my claim December 1st and have had my assessment, I called the pip helpline 4 weeks ago to let them know I had been given a new diagnosis, I know it's not based on conditions but I wanted to be truthful about everything. At the same time a very friendly advisor told me what the assessor scored me (8 on each) and that it was with the DM and advised me to call on the 11/04 if I hadn't heard back. I called today and was speaking with a very abrupt and rude advisor who basically said she would email the DM to send me a letter by the end of the week (not holding my breath with bank holiday) but the way she was speaking was as if my claim had been declined. To cut a long story short I'm already anxious and down due to the long wait already and now I'm even more anxious about my claim, has anyone else been quoted a score for it to be changed. Thanks

When you ring PIP, you are ringing a call centre not DWP itself. I'm not sure how they advised you that you'd scored 8 points in each because the assessment report is a recommendation. If there's any recommended points, they're not added up. The only person that can score you points is a decision maker from DWP.
    Your timescale up to now has been very quick compared to a lot of others here. Timescales once the assessment is complete is 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer. Nothing more you can do until a decision's been made.
  • diabeticrik
    diabeticrik Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Thanks Poppy

The advisor never made anything clear about how the scoring works and claimed to be telling me directly from the report even going as far as saying that he's never seen a drop in score all the years he's been there. He seemed to be telling me exactly what I wanted to hear come to think of it, maybe not as experienced as he made himself out to be especially telling me to call back if I haven't recieved a decision by yesterday given the timescales quoted.
  • claire35
    claire35 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited April 2022
    Just had my daughters pip telephone assessment today after it was cancelled 3 weeks ago, today they changed the appointment time 3 times and then it took nearly 2 hours. So stressful and she didn’t seem to understand my daughters condition. Which is POTS, unexplained seizures, hypermobility, APD, Mild deafness in both ears, ASD, ADHD, anxiety disorder. I haven’t got a clue if she will be awarded claim was dated 1/11/21
  • anagray
    anagray Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I started a claim 13/12/2021, sent the forms back January, had the telephone assessment 5th April, had a confirmation text a week later to say that it had been received and to wait 8 weeks for a final decision. On Wednesday 20th April I thought I would call them to see if I could get a report from the assessment. I went through the automated security and it said my next payment was due 16th May and how much. I held on the line, apparently they made the decision 16th April a Saturday and to expect the back dated payment today, and they told me what level i got. Well I checked my bank today and it’s there!!
    To cut a long story short, it’s a waiting game, they’re working their way through the cases even working Saturdays, but if you’re patient with them, you’ll get there in the end.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,388 Championing
    Great to hear nice news @anagray
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    edited April 2022
    I'm glad to hear everything has come through @anagray as you say it is a waiting game in the end.

@claire35 I am sorry your assessment was moved around so many times, that is frustrating! Hopefully it won't be too much longer to wait now that you've done the hard part, but often the best thing to do is wait for the decision letter to come through.

You've done everything you need to, and we'll be here to support you, whatever the decision. If you do feel you need to challenge the decision, the community can help advise you on your next steps.

If anything comes up that you feel unsure about in the meantime, please do let us know :)

Alex
  • claire35
    Thank you everyone I’m still a little confused why we was asked what time of property we live in, who lives there if we have pets and if my daughter who has seiZures drives or is having lessons, if we get on with our neighbours and what has she had for her dinner the last few nights 
  • SueHeath
    Hi @claire35 welcome to this great group.
    I had my PIP telephone assessment yesterday.
    My problem is mobility when they asked me what type of property (mine is a house) i just thought they were checking how i managed stairs, as in my form i told them i have to stop when going up stairs.
    They asked if anyone else lived in the house (my husband) on the form i told them how good my husband is with helping me in the bathroom.
    They asked if i drove (i don't) i assumed they would be checking if i drove a manual car, which would be a problem for me with my condition.
    As for dinner they would be checking how you can manage with different disabilities, ie using knife and fork, standing preparing food etc.
    Sorry don't know about animals, unless it would be associated with sight or allergies.

Hope this has helped, but as everyone say's the waiting game can be stressful so try and find a distraction.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    @Clare35

They are almost relevant questions as they give a picture of your functionality 

Who you live with to establish any support you have on daily basis   pets is about if you can feed them and look after them eg take for walks 

Driving shows a level of physical and cognitive ability and ability to get our and follow and plan a journey 

These are all typical questions asked at assessment 
  • claire35
    I have spoken to dwp today as I was upset about the way we was dealt with and they have looked at the report from the assessment and agree with me that it was not carried out correctly and he picked holes in it throughout. Apparently according to the person who carried it out there is nothing wrong with my daughter and she is not entitled the fact that she is under 10
    different hospitals is besides the point, he is going to get the case manager to call me before any decision is made and asking for another assessment one that is carried out fairly. His words
    were it looks like questions to try and trip you up and the form is titled how your disability affects you not if you are going on holiday or talk to your neighbours and how
    many bedrooms are in your house. I feel so angry !!
  • poppy123456
    You'll be very surprised just how relevant the questions are that they ask you. It can tell them a lot about how your conditions affect you. Asking questions about the type of house, pets and what was eating doesn't mean the assessment wasn't carried out correctly.
    What confuses is me is how the person from the call centre that you spoke to today could possibly tell you how she's not entitled to PIP if no decision's been made yet. They are call centre staff and have very little knowledge of PIP and any other benefits. The points in the assessment report are not added because it's not the decision, it's a recommendation. The only person that can make that decision is a decision maker.

• claire35
    Well took the Dwp’s advice and issued a formal complaint about the assessor who’s report was full of lies and actually called myself and my daughter a liar, luckily the decision maker didn’t take any notice of the report and took notice of all the evidence I have sent in. He called me on the 18th and awarded enhanced rate for both care and motability. Turned out ok in the end and my daughter had got awarded what is rightly needed 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello @claire35 thanks so much for updating us all and I'm glad you got the result you were hoping for, but I'm sorry you had to go through the complaints process in the first place!

It must be quite a relief to get it all sorted out :)

I'm sure this must've had an impact on both you and your daughter's mental health, so be sure to look after yourself in whatever way works best, I can recommend Mind's website for online resources.

If you've got any questions in the meantime, or there's anything else you need a hand with, please let us know.
  • SueHeath
    Thats great news @claire35 thanks for sharing 
  • david91
    david91 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi,

Have read through all the posts in this thread which have been extremely helpful, thank you. 

I had my telephone assessment last week and received a text from the DWP advising they've received the report and to expect a decision within 8 weeks. 

With regards to the assessment I'm quite worried, although the lady seemed very nice and empathetic, she kept steering me back to my good days, whilst seemingly ignoring the mostly bad days. 

Would it be worth me calling and requesting a copy of the report now, or just being patient and waiting on the contact from the DWP?  I don't want to prolong this process more than it needs to be, as it's quite stressful within itself. 

Any advice is gratefully received. 
    Thankyou. 
  • SueHeath
    Morning @david91 welcome to our great group - it's the best thing on line that i have joined.
    You will know doubt hear from some of the other members, when they wake up ha ha.
    In other chats our experts say not to ask for a copy as it only adds to the stress, this can be the worst part, the waiting game again. I do wish you luck tho.

If you have any problems with looking round the site, just ask for help some one is bound to be on line.
  • tigs123
    tigs123 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi Guys.  I applied for Pip in May of this year.  I received a call today from Someone at the Independant Assessment centre,, who asked me two or three questions.  I gave them my answers, I asked when my assessment would be, they said they had seen evidence and would write a report. Now I am off phone I am concerned that I didnt ask any questions.   Does anyone no if this is a good or a bad thing....please
  • poppy123456
    tigs123 said:
    Hi Guys.  I applied for Pip in May of this year.  I received a call today from Someone at the Independant Assessment centre,, who asked me two or three questions.  I gave them my answers, I asked when my assessment would be, they said they had seen evidence and would write a report. Now I am off phone I am concerned that I didnt ask any questions.   Does anyone no if this is a good or a bad thing....please

Paper based assessment isn't a bad thing. I answered your question on your thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/94734/hi-my-name-is-tigs123-im-worried-that-i-should-have-asked-or-said-something-i-didnt#latest

• loulou3082
    loulou3082 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, Thank you for letting me part of this forum. Im very new to pip. I applied on the 13th September 2021. Had my telephone consultation on the 10th January 2022. On the 11th January 2022 I received a text saying they had received my report and it would be 8 weeks for a decision. Today (18/1) called for a copy of my assessment but she said they advised not to send it as decisions are often different. I asked how long the decision would be. She said we only received my report yesterday. I said that I had a text saying it was received last week. She said “sorry about that” but the decision will now be 2-4 weeks from the 17th January. Is anyone else any stories to share. 
    Hi there I applied on the 25th may I had my assessment on 31st aug and a text saying my written report had been received next day. How long will I be waiting for the decision to be made. Thank you