Online Learning Accessibility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online Learning Accessibility

Options
Paul_Developer
Paul_Developer Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, my name is Paul. I develop online learning for a living, and am currently looking to improve our accessibility for the online courses we make. And would like to ask a question.

What are your pet hates, barriers to accessing learning online? Whether E-learning courses, power points or websites? What needs to be better? 

Thank you. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Paul_Developer

Thanks for asking your question, for me it would have to be the accessibility for use with screen readers. Too many online courses aren't very well optimised and instead focus on fancy pop ups and transitions. While those things are visually nice, they should be included alongside good accessibiility for any software users might be using.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hello @Paul_Developer. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

Thanks for reaching out to us to ask us about this question. My pet hate is when the text comes up extra small and it is not clear how to make it bigger.

I’m also not a fan of when things decide the pace it should go at rather than the pace I want to go at. For example, when it progresses at its own pace rather than when I click a button to tell it to continue.

I hope this helps and gives you some insights! I’m sure our wonderful community will be able to give you a range of other ideas too. Good luck  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.