Hi. Why didn't the assessment team get information from the mental health team themselves? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi. Why didn't the assessment team get information from the mental health team themselves?

Options
xxlucciixx
xxlucciixx Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys so I applied for pip for my partner he suffers with mental health issues and I started the claim in October when he was under a section in hospital with all the evidence I had. He come out of hospital in December The Assessment team rang mental health team and got all the information off them the assessment was in June which I think it went well so anyway it’s been 5 weeks since the assessment so I rang pip today just for a update may I mention I am is appointee so they said they have contacted the hospital for information but they haven’t got back to them yet he asked me of the date he got discharged from hospital not sure why they didn’t ask the mental health team for that information I didn’t know the exact date I just said a few days before Christmas but they said they want the date anyway I asked for the assessment report by the way so after that phone call I rang mental health team which they was going to ring me back with all the dates today do you think I should ring them back with all the dates or should I just leave it and wait for them to finish He besically said on the phone as soon as they have the information from the hospital it will go straight to the decision maker I just feel this is taking forever now and wondering why the assessment team didn’t get that information   

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once the report has been returned to DWP a decision can take between 2-12 weeks. 
    The reason they are asking for the date he came out of hospital is when applying for PIP, if you’re in hospital it can’t be paid until you come out of hospital. If successfully awarded the date would start the day he came out of hospital. 
    For this reason I would ring them back to give them the information they need.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • xxlucciixx
    Options
    I didn’t realise it could take up to 12 weeks the assessment team said should only take 6 weeks now so that’s why I rang just for an update but seems they can’t even make a decision without waiting for information from the hospital which they said they asked for it 2 weeks ago now the mental health team going to give me the dates today so am just going to ring back up hopefully it helps 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @xxlucciixx :) 

Did you manage to ring them back up? Hopefully they'll be able to provide you with the exact dates sooner rather than later. 
    I didn’t realise it could take up to 12 weeks the assessment team said should only take 6 weeks now 
    Waiting times vary, so it's hard to say exactly how long it'll be. I know that doesn't help with the anxiety of it all!

I'm sorry to hear that your partner has faced some challenges with his mental health. How's he getting on now? Is he receiving enough support to help him manage his mental ill health on an ongoing basis?

I'm sure this must all be a stressful experience for you, too. How are you coping with it all? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • xxlucciixx
    Options
    Tori_Scope so the mental health team never rang me back so going to ring first thing in the morning for the date then ring pip straight after he as the nurse come out every 2 weeks to inject him with his medication which the mental health team have been really good in supporting him every day is a struggle for him but am just trying to support him and care for him as the best I can. Just been very stressful dealing with pip I just feel it’s taken so long just to get all the evidence and even now it seems it’s still not enough and they are asking for more I guess am starting to be inpatient now just want a answer so I can start the fighting process if he doesn’t get it I had to wait 2 months before I could do the assessment because they was waiting for the information from the mental health team which they finally got now am waiting again for the hospital information    

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s nothing to do with any evidence. PIP can’t be paid while in hospital if it’s a new claim. It’s perfectly normal for them to ask these questions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    deleted - mixed up threads!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • xxlucciixx
    Options
    Am not sure if it’s just the date they are asking for he didn’t say he just said we are waiting for further information from the hospital then went and asked if I knew the exact date he got discharged I didn’t ask if that’s all they was asking the hospital for going to ring back tomorrow to give them the exact date and  to see if that’s all they are asking for if they can tell me that 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Let us know how that goes @xxlucciixx it'll be good to know exactly what's what :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • xxlucciixx
    Options
    Just to give you an update I’ve rang today after finally getting a date and the women I spoke to said she wouldn’t take the date because it had to be the hospital they sent them a form to fill out asking for a date I did say the man I spoke to asked me if I knew the date but she still insisted that it has to be them so looks like it’s a waiting game now 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to give you an update I’ve rang today after finally getting a date and the women I spoke to said she wouldn’t take the date because it had to be the hospital they sent them a form to fill out asking for a date I did say the man I spoke to asked me if I knew the date but she still insisted that it has to be them so looks like it’s a waiting game now 
    Thanks for the update, that sounds frustrating. Hopefully it can be sorted soon for you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • xxlucciixx
    Options
    Hopefully think I am going to ring again end of the week to see if someone else would take the date I got the assessment report back and he seemed really promising so hopefully dla will go with the assessments report 
  • xxlucciixx
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.