Carers allowance/Universal Credit/Working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance/Universal Credit/Working

Options
kmetcalfe
kmetcalfe Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I’m new to the community and was looking for some support with benefits. It seems like a bit of a minefield and having never claimed before have become lost along the way! Myself and my partner live together and have 4 children. We both work and have never claimed anything (other than child benefit). Recently our son has been awarded DLA due to his conditions. My partner will be claiming carers allowance but it seems really difficult to understand what can be processed as expenses to try and balance how many hours a week she can work. We have also been advised to submit a UC application and it’s all getting a little complicated. Any help or support on here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,551 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For your partner to be able to claim carers allowance the maximum weekly earnings for this after deductions is £132/week. If they earn more than they they won't be able to claim it. It is also deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there's no financial gain to claim this at the same time. (unless you live in Scotland) https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    UC is a means tested benefit, whether you're entitled will depend on your joint circumstances. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    Your partner can report being a carer and they will include the carers element of £168.81/month, which will be part of your maximum entitlement. You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to this. There's also no maximum earnings limit like there is with carers allowance.
    Use a benefits calculator and put both your details into it to see what figures in comes up with. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=a9117590-e9f2-41d9-b270-a299841e8118

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kmetcalfe
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456 that’s helpful. As we have other children we are trying to understand if childcare is an allowable expense and how we go about submitting these changes. From further research I think I may be best placed contacting them directly to explain our current circumstances. They don’t make it easy, it’s no wonder so many billions go unclaimed. Thanks 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @kmetcalfe and welcome to the online community and thank you for your post which I see that poppy has already replied to.

You mentioned that your partner intends to work and care for your son.  To be entitled to Carers Allowance or the carers element in UC bear in mind that your partner needs to provide not less than 35 hours a week care to your son. Poppy has suggested that you do a benefits calculation to see if you have an entitlement to UC. Your household income is taken into account but your son's DLA will be ignored. If your household income is too high and there is no entitlement to UC bear in mind that your partner could claim CA as your earnings are not taken into account for the purposes of Carers Allowance.

Your UC will be made up of a standard allowance and an additional element called a child element for all  children born before 6 April 2017 and who are under 16 and for children between 16 and 18 (and in some cases 19) if for example they are still at school or college or non advanced education.  You cannot usually get a child element for a third or subsequent child born after 6 April 2017 - this is known as the the 2 child limit. If this applies in your case and you would not be entitled to a child element in respect of your son you would still be entitled to an additional amount in your UC as he has been awarded DLA and the amount of this element  would depend on the severity of your child's disability.  You may also be entitled to get help with your housing costs. For more information about how to claim UC, and there is also help from citizens advice with their help to claim service. 

You also mentioned childcare costs.  Your UC can include an amount for your childcare costs (the childcare costs element) if you are in paid work and are paying for formal childcare such as a registered childminder, nursery or afterschool club. You would be entitled to claim childcare costs as one of you is working and your partner is caring for a disabled person.
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kmetcalfe said:
    Thanks @poppy123456 that’s helpful. As we have other children we are trying to understand if childcare is an allowable expense and how we go about submitting these changes. From further research I think I may be best placed contacting them directly to explain our current circumstances. They don’t make it easy, it’s no wonder so many billions go unclaimed. Thanks 

I don't think child care costs are an allowable expense for carers allowance. As i advised if you're entitled to UC then claiming carers element is the same thing. There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance at the same time as UC anyway.
    Please also be aware that when ringing carers allowance you are only speaking to someone from a call centre and they are not benefits advisors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    My comment regarding childcare costs was in respect of UC. I think poppy is right that childcare costs won't be an allowable expense for  carers allowance. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • kmetcalfe
    Options
    Thanks @Sue_Scope @poppy123456 you have both helped me massively. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can claim up to 85% of child care costs through UC but it's capped at £646.35 for 1 child and £1,108.08 for 2 children. You have to pay the costs upfront and claim it back from UC. More details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-childcare-costs

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.