DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tink13 said:
    My award ends in September 2023 and I’m already having really bad anxiety about getting paperwork thru the door for it and because of post issues where I live I’m scared that it’s gonna end up going missing and then I’m just not gonna be in a good place. With this extension do they send out a new letter with a new end date on? Without that I won’t be able to extend my blue badge. 
    I don’t know if they send out letters. If you don’t receive one you can ring them to ask. 
    For your Blue Badge you will need to reapply because they don’t just extend them as such.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
    Options
    My pip comes to an end in sep 23 .. can anyone tell me if this will effect me please I’ve no idea how it all works thankyou.

on layman’s terms….
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My pip comes to an end in sep 23 .. can anyone tell me if this will effect me please I’ve no idea how it all works thankyou.
    You should expect to receive review forms about 6 months in advance so around march 2023. If you don't receive it then it will be worth ringing PIP to check with them because you will want the review completed before the existing award ends.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sketchy
    sketchy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    ive was awarded a 3 year claim after getting a life time award for dla that is due to end December 2023, on my award letter it said they would contact me after October 23rd 2022 for a mini review will this still happen or am i going to get a extension or? thank you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sketchy said:
    ive was awarded a 3 year claim after getting a life time award for dla that is due to end December 2023, on my award letter it said they would contact me after October 23rd 2022 for a mini review will this still happen or am i going to get a extension or? thank you

You will still be contacted sometime after October and you'll be sent review forms to fill and return with all your evidence. If a decision hasn't been made by the time your award is due to end then it will be extended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sketchy
    Options
    sketchy said:

You will still be contacted sometime after October and you'll be sent review forms to fill and return with all your evidence. If a decision hasn't been made by the time your award is due to end then it will be extended.
    thank you for your prompt reply, when i done my claim i didnt have to supply evidence i just directed them to my doctor and a copy of a my repeat prescription of my current anti psychotic meds, what is involved with this mini review? thank you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sketchy said:
    sketchy said:

thank you for your prompt reply, when i done my claim i didnt have to supply evidence i just directed them to my doctor and a copy of a my repeat prescription of my current anti psychotic meds, what is involved with this mini review? thank you

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence and you shouldn't rely on that. Having had 2 reviews and my first time claim, they've never contacted anyone.
    I wouldn't call it a "mini review" as such. Another assessment is most likely because most people have them. This can either be by telephone, video call or face to face at an assessment centre.
    When filling out the forms you need to make sure you treat it as a new claim and give as much information as possible. (without telling your life story)
  • sketchy
    Options
    sketchy said:
    sketchy said:

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence and you shouldn't rely on that. Having had 2 reviews and my first time claim, they've never contacted anyone.
    I wouldn't call it a "mini review" as such. Another assessment is most likely because most people have them. This can either be by telephone, video call or face to face at an assessment centre.
    When filling out the forms you need to make sure you treat it as a new claim and give as much information as possible. (without telling your life story)
    thank you i feel abit more informed now 🙏
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I returned my review forms back 6 months ago now, one text 2 weeks ago saying that until a decision is made it will remain in payment, as ever it's a waiting game.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• EllieC
    EllieC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I’m so confused - I have a letter dated January 2021 stating my pip will be extended until Feb 2024 instead on May 2023 which it was originally.

I have now received a renewal form which I started to face doing and then remembered this previous letter.

Anyone else had this kind of thing?
    Spent over an hour hanging on the phone to the helpline only to be cut off.
    A bit anxious to say the least.
  • ella1992
    ella1992 Community member Posts: 173 Courageous
    Options
    EllieC said:
    I’m so confused - I have a letter dated January 2021 stating my pip will be extended until Feb 2024 instead on May 2023 which it was originally.

I have now received a renewal form which I started to face doing and then remembered this previous letter.

My award was the same ending 2023 I haven't had any reviews fourms thank god 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    EllieC said:

Although your PIP was extended, this was because of the size of the backlogs of people waiting for decisions on their reviews. It didn't mean that you wouldn't still receive your review forms around 6 months before the original end date so it's correct that you've received them now. You can contact PIP and request a couple of extra weeks to return the forms.
    You need to make sure you treat this as a new claim and give as much information as possible (without telling your life story) backlogs are huge so you could be waiting as long as a year for a decision.
  • EllieC
    EllieC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much for explaining this - I thought as much.
    Once I send the form back does anyone know approximately how long have people been waiting for an assessment appointment?
    Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    EllieC said:

Once I send the form back does anyone know approximately how long have people been waiting for an assessment appointment?
    Thanks again 

We have members here that have been waiting almost a year and still no assessment date, so it could be quite some time.
  • Whirlygirl1
    Whirlygirl1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    I filled out review documentation recently and sent this back. I received a text stating that DWP had received it but nothing since.  Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get an answer?  Im on the higher rate for mobility and standard for daily living at present (I did tell them that this is now affected more.    This is my only income, I worked full-time with MS until 2017 and was made redundant.  I did make some voluntary NI payments.     Now they are telling me that I cannot get other benefits because 37 years of National Insurance contributions are simply not enough.   One of the many people I spoke to in the DWP stated that yes I was getting NI credits - Im not convinced. Surely you have to apply for these?  Ive had no correspondence stating that Im getting these..   I also registered as self employed (a possible part-time role with a neighbour's company came up but I had to turn it down - they wanted me to employ someone when I was on holiday or off-sick - I would have only been earning £10 per hour anyway!  The contract given was seriously erroneous and sadly I had to say no.  So, Im completely stuck and basically going upstream without a paddle.  Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I filled out review documentation recently and sent this back. I received a text stating that DWP had received it but nothing since.  Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get an answer?  Im on the higher rate for mobility and standard for daily living at present (I did tell them that this is now affected more.    This is my only income, I worked full-time with MS until 2017 and was made redundant.  I did make some voluntary NI payments.     Now they are telling me that I cannot get other benefits because 37 years of National Insurance contributions are simply not enough.   One of the many people I spoke to in the DWP stated that yes I was getting NI credits - Im not convinced. Surely you have to apply for these?  Ive had no correspondence stating that Im getting these..   I also registered as self employed (a possible part-time role with a neighbour's company came up but I had to turn it down - they wanted me to employ someone when I was on holiday or off-sick - I would have only been earning £10 per hour anyway!  The contract given was seriously erroneous and sadly I had to say no.  So, Im completely stuck and basically going upstream without a paddle.  Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

PIP reviews are currently taking quite sometime for a lot of people. We have members here that are still waiting more than 1 year after returning their forms.
    You will not receive NI credits from claiming PIP, if you were told this then it's not correct.
    To claim New style ESA you will need to have paid the correct NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021. If you were PAYE then it will be class 1 you will need, if self employed then class 2.
    Other than that there's Universal Credit but this is a means tested benefit. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.
  • Whirlygirl1
    Options
    Thank you.  So how do I go about requesting National Insurance Credits?  I have not been able to work since 2017.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thank you.  So how do I go about requesting National Insurance Credits?  I have not been able to work since 2017.
    If you are eligible, with your partner, for UC then you get Class 3 credits as a UC claimant.

You can apply for new style ESA. You will be told that you cannot be paid ESA but you will still be sent a health questionnaire following which you will likely have an assessment. If it is decided that you have Limited capability for Work or Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity you will get Class 1 NI credits even though not being paid ESA.

You can backdate an ESA claim by 3 months.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Whirlygirl1
    Options
    Ive done all that and sent off a health questionnaire but no reponse and no assessment. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ive done all that and sent off a health questionnaire but no reponse and no assessment. 

There are backlogs and it can take in excess of several months for the WCA appointment.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.