DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    rbz said:
    My PIP award were extended for 9 months (from February 2023 till November 2023). But on December 2022 received PIP Award Review form.
    I contacted DWP and asked why they ask to complete PIP very early (over 40 weeks till November 2023). Today received official response from PIP Manager - extension were scrapped because no more backlogs. My award now again till February 2023. 
    Now awaiting new assessment and new decision.

Very odd that because there's many members here who have continued to have their PIP award extended because of the backlogs for review decisions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MadCow1
    MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456

My PIP award runs out on Tuesday (10th). I rang in December,as I'd received a text to say that they were still progressing with my form,but haven't heard anything since. Thinking about phoning them on Monday (9th).

• xlesleyx
    xlesleyx Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I sent my Son's pip review back on 21st November and had a letter on 16th December saying his award will stay the same until December 2026.
    His original award was due to run out in July 2023.
  • maz77
    maz77 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    I'm claiming ESA but recently got diagnosed with degenerated disease so had to fill out health questionnaire back in November still not heard ewt just wondering do u get back pay 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    maz77 said:
    I'm claiming ESA but recently got diagnosed with degenerated disease so had to fill out health questionnaire back in November still not heard ewt just wondering do u get back pay 
    This thread is about PIP. Was it a PIP form you filled in? If so and it’s a first time claim, without transferring from DLA and you’re successfully awarded then it’s paid from the date you rang to start your claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • PaulO1234
    PaulO1234 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I’m approaching my first review and a little confused as to what is happening now with extensions. PIP awarded for 3 years till August 2024, original award letter said I will be contacted after August 2023 for review. Does my August 2023 review still stand or will I be asked for the review forms in February 2024? (6 months after my original review date)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PaulO1234 said:
    Hi, I’m approaching my first review and a little confused as to what is happening now with extensions. PIP awarded for 3 years till August 2024, original award letter said I will be contacted after August 2023 for review. Does my August 2023 review still stand or will I be asked for the review forms in February 2024? (6 months after my original review date)
    You will be contacted anytime from August this year. Reviews did used to be about 6 months before but because of the backlogs of people waiting for review decisions they have gone back to about 1 year before.

Providing you return the forms within the timescale your PIP will continue until a decision is made on your review. 

• PaulO1234
    PaulO1234 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    PaulO1234 said:
    You will be contacted anytime from August this year. Reviews did used to be about 6 months before but because of the backlogs of people waiting for review decisions they have gone back to about 1 year before.

Providing you return the forms within the timescale your PIP will continue until a decision is made on your review. 

Thank you Poppy. So the form is likely to come out on schedule but the review itself may take longer, I see. I thought the extension was on receiving the review form itself so was a little confused. Thanks again 
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Options
    @PaulO1234 Hi my mums award ends January 2024 she got her review form yesterday.
  • dee4848
    Options
    Supposing a paper based is decided, could this be done alot quicker, or the same as any review?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    dee4848 said:
    Supposing a paper based is decided, could this be done alot quicker, or the same as any review?

Some are done quickly but others not as quick.
  • dee4848
    Options
    Thankyou Poppy
  • Sausagedog
    Sausagedog Scope Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    What is the new time limit for completing the form and sending it off? If it's 1 year instead of 3 months, isn't this possibly a bad thing because it's basically having to go through the whole reassessment process 9 months earlier every single time? It sounds like a nightmare. :(
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    What is the new time limit for completing the form and sending it off? If it's 1 year instead of 3 months, isn't this possibly a bad thing because it's basically having to go through the whole reassessment process 9 months earlier every single time? It sounds like a nightmare. :(
    They're sending them out up to a year in advance, but you only get 4 weeks to complete them once you have them otherwise your award stops (you can ask for a couple of extensions though). My end date is January 2024 and I had my form through last week to be done by mid-June
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    My PIP award (enhanced care & mobility) is up for renewal in March 2029. A long time off and I will be 80 by that date. Personally I will be past caring by then as my health is far from good as it is. Choice will be to become stressed out trying to fill the form in and gather supporting evidence or not bother re-applying. The latter is the likely candidate! 
  • dee4848
    Options
    If they have all the information they need to make a decision,  do they still let you know by txt message? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    dee4848 said:
    If they have all the information they need to make a decision,  do they still let you know by txt message? 
    If it’s a first time claim and there’s an award they sometimes text. If there’s no award they won’t text you.

They do not send the text if it’s a review. 
  • dee4848
    Options
    Oh ok thanks poppy 
  • markwilliams12345
    markwilliams12345 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456  can you tell me what’s the difference between a Review and making a new claim, as I sent my review papers on April 07 2023. And all iv had is a text “saying we’re dealing with your claim my condition is the Same. Plus with my anxiety  
    most  days I dread the postman coming or getting a text  in case it’s from the dwp.   I can’t go far because iv started haveimg sizers., quite.bad ones I had .21 in 2 days.in hospital….

• poppy123456
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456  can you tell me what’s the difference between a Review and making a new claim, as I sent my review papers on April 07 2023. And all iv had is a text “saying we’re dealing with your claim my condition is the Same. Plus with my anxiety  
    most  days I dread the postman coming or getting a text  in case it’s from the dwp.   I can’t go far because iv started haveimg sizers., quite.bad ones I had .21 in 2 days.in hospital….

A new claim is exactly that, a new claim. A review is when you already have an award and they are reviewing your entitlement.

To be honest, you haven't been waiting that long. We have members that are still waiting a year after returning the forms. All you can do is wait. Your existing award will continue until a decision made on your review.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.