DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP confirms it is increasing the automatic extension period of existing PIP awards awaiting review

Options

Comments

• Whirlygirl1
    Whirlygirl1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    Ah, waiting to see what happens then!  Thanks.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Returning to the subject of this thread (which has gone off in a different direction)

DWP have apparently said that automatic extension of PIP awards has been delayed until early to mid December.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pkeith95
    pkeith95 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    Hey all, sorry If I have totally missed the answer to my question here, I do rather get lost in a sea of comments sometimes, so apologies if I am asking something that has already been answered, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to help me:

My PIP award is due to run out Jan 2023, I've had my reassessment forms and returned them.  This new extension announcement, what exactly does it mean?  And does anyone know roughly how far behind they are?  I'm told my award will continue to be paid until assessment has been completed.

Thank you, and apologies again If I am asking for information to be repeated.  Sometimes I just need a direct, plain speaking reply :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    pkeith95 said:
    Hey all, sorry If I have totally missed the answer to my question here, I do rather get lost in a sea of comments sometimes, so apologies if I am asking something that has already been answered, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to help me:

My PIP award is due to run out Jan 2023, I've had my reassessment forms and returned them.  This new extension announcement, what exactly does it mean?  And does anyone know roughly how far behind they are?  I'm told my award will continue to be paid until assessment has been completed.

Thank you, and apologies again If I am asking for information to be repeated.  Sometimes I just need a direct, plain speaking reply :)

Yes, your award will continue until a decision is made on your review. Backlogs vary in all areas but it's possible you could be waiting several months, maybe longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,620 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I filled out review documentation recently and sent this back. I received a text stating that DWP had received it but nothing since.  Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get an answer?  Im on the higher rate for mobility and standard for daily living at present (I did tell them that this is now affected more.    This is my only income, I worked full-time with MS until 2017 and was made redundant.  I did make some voluntary NI payments.     Now they are telling me that I cannot get other benefits because 37 years of National Insurance contributions are simply not enough.   One of the many people I spoke to in the DWP stated that yes I was getting NI credits - Im not convinced. Surely you have to apply for these?  Ive had no correspondence stating that Im getting these..   I also registered as self employed (a possible part-time role with a neighbour's company came up but I had to turn it down - they wanted me to employ someone when I was on holiday or off-sick - I would have only been earning £10 per hour anyway!  The contract given was seriously erroneous and sadly I had to say no.  So, Im completely stuck and basically going upstream without a paddle.  Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

You probably won't be receiving NI credits automatically - you will have to apply for them
    To make use of NI for benefits - they must be RECENTLY EARNED - I believe within the last 2 years
    I have 32 years worth of CONTRACTED OUT NI contributions and need another 8 to get a full state pension - I am receiving class 1 credits on a basis of being entitled to ESA but not actually receiving it !
    You’re not on Employment and Support Allowance but you satisfy the conditions for it Apply for ‘new style’ ESA to get Class 1 credits

• madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    For anyone claiming universal credits, please go check your NI contributions, I am claiming universal credits, but no getting any NI contributions, Jobcenter never returned any fit for work notes so getting proof I received benefits is harder, jobcenter also don't keep records, so they say, I was injured at work, off sick, got ESA then universal credit, something broke in the system, others have the same issue, please check to make sure you are not affected.
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 497 Pioneering
    Options
    i handed mine back about one and a half months ago, the only thing i have heard from them is that they have received the forms. They have not said it they will be extending the award due to the backlog so not sure when i will hear. My award does not end until may
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For anyone claiming universal credits, please go check your NI contributions, I am claiming universal credits, but no getting any NI contributions
    There have been issues with NI credits when claiming UC for quite sometime. My advice is to contact your local MP who will hopefully be able to help you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jon450XD
    Jon450XD Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    Well, I received a message stating that my PIP renewal had been accepted and I should hear within 8 weeks. This 43weeks ago. PiP ends next month as does my Motability lease that has already been extended by 6 months. Do I call them and ask what is happening. I know my injuries have caused problems and my multiple hospital admissions and new illness (getting old) Eosinophilic Asthma and Angina may need looking at but.

any ideas? I do not want to rock the boat but I am worried and need to know.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Jon450XD said:
    Well, I received a message stating that my PIP renewal had been accepted and I should hear within 8 weeks. This 43weeks ago. PiP ends next month as does my Motability lease that has already been extended by 6 months. Do I call them and ask what is happening. I know my injuries have caused problems and my multiple hospital admissions and new illness (getting old) Eosinophilic Asthma and Angina may need looking at but.

any ideas? I do not want to rock the boat but I am worried and need to know.

Have you had an assessment yet? Your exisiting PIP will continue until a decision is made on your review. If your motability vehicle lease is due to end then you can ring them to ask them to extend it further and they will do that.
  • MadCow1
    MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I recently asked if the PIP extension applied to me. I'm still wondering about it,as my award runs out on Jan 10th 2023,but I haven't heard anything from them since September,when they sent a text to say that they still have my form etc (which they received in March).What would be your advice.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They only way to find out is to ring them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MadCow1
    MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks @calcotti, that's what I was thinking.
  • rbz
    rbz Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Mine was extended from February 2023 till October 2023. Couple weeks ago received request to complete Award review form. Today contacted DWP by phone to ask why I should complete this form 40 weeks before my PIP ends. Lady from DWP said that there no more problems with PIP assessment and they scrapped my PIP extension.
    But refused in written form tell me grounds why PIP extension were scrapped.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rbz said:
    Mine was extended from February 2023 till October 2023. Couple weeks ago received request to complete Award review form. Today contacted DWP by phone to ask why I should complete this form 40 weeks before my PIP ends. Lady from DWP said that there no more problems with PIP assessment and they scrapped my PIP extension.
    But refused in written form tell me grounds why PIP extension were scrapped.
    When you ring PIP you're speaking to someone from a call centre, who is basically reading from a screen. They have very little knowledge. PIP extensions haven't been scrapped at all, they are still extending them because of backlogs.
    Although your award has been extended this doesn't mean you weren't still due your review. The form will need to be filled in and returned by the date on the letter, they will extend that deadline if you ring to ask. If it's not returned then your PIP will stop.
  • rbz
    Options
    @poppy123456 Lady from DWP clearly stated - there no more backlogs in our area anymore. Just give extra time for form filling. But no extra time for medical records. Some records I already received, but some still awaiting.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rbz said:
    @poppy123456 Lady from DWP clearly stated - there no more backlogs in our area anymore. Just give extra time for form filling. But no extra time for medical records. Some records I already received, but some still awaiting.

She wasn't from DWP, she was from a call centre who would have no idea about backlogs. In all areas they are still concentrating on new claims, which has caused backlogs for reviews.
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    I won my award at Tribunal in 2020 and it is up for review in January 2024 - does this extension also apply to those who got an award through Tribunal?
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I won my award at Tribunal in 2020 and it is up for review in January 2024 - does this extension also apply to those who got an award through Tribunal?

Sometimes but not always. You'll need to contact PIP to ask.
  • rbz
    Options
    My PIP award were extended for 9 months (from February 2023 till November 2023). But on December 2022 received PIP Award Review form.
    I contacted DWP and asked why they ask to complete PIP very early (over 40 weeks till November 2023). Today received official response from PIP Manager - extension were scrapped because no more backlogs. My award now again till February 2023. 
    Now awaiting new assessment and new decision.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.