ESA REVIEW — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA REVIEW

Options
salfordguy
salfordguy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good afternoon
The judge at my tribunal hearing back in August 2018 ruled that the DWP'S decision not to renew my ESA was overturned.On the decision notice the judge stated that the DWP was not to review me for 3 years. I am on edge each Day now as it is now over 4years.Part of me thinks I should ring the DWP for an update but part of me doesn't, incase the call triggers my claim.My health certainly has not changed for the better since the award.I currently get PIP which will now not be reviewed until 2024.
In general is there a delay in reviews for ESA? Could it be that the DWP have extended the benefit without notifying me?
Kind regards 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

All reviews have been suspended and have been for over 2 years now while they deal with new claims as a priority 

Your award does not have an end date and will continue until a review and new decision the judge comment is only a recommendation 

Mine is exactly the same a member posted the other day that they are starting reviews but currently only doing those that are over 6 years 

So I think you can relax for a bit yet 
  • salfordguy
    salfordguy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.If that's the case as you say I can try and put it to the back of my mind for a little while.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Reviews are only taking place for people whose assessments were 5-6 years ago and earlier. So you'll be fine. It's an ongoing award until you are contacted. They won't just stop your benefit.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Another really insightful and supportive thread. Thanks everyone for contributing to the supportive and friendly space.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further support. We are all here for you and wish you the best of luck  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • spb1612
    spb1612 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    Please do not worry, I am in the same situation, I was due a review last month, and I have not heard from them.  I called them a month earlier to confirm if I am due a review and they told me that I should get my form soon, but I received nothing, they are basically clueless.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,632 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    spb1612 said:
    Please do not worry, I am in the same situation, I was due a review last month, and I have not heard from them.  I called them a month earlier to confirm if I am due a review and they told me that I should get my form soon, but I received nothing, they are basically clueless.

I highly doubt that. Reviews are still suspended. The only WCA's that are taking place at the moment is change of circumstances and new claims. Remember that when you ring ESA you are speaking to someone from a call centre who would very likely not have any information about the reviews being suspended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami84
    kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    I'm affraid to call them and ask them. My review is suppose to be in August. I have no real evidence. I'm ESA CB 5 year old claim. I am seriously unwell. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kami84 said:
    I'm affraid to call them and ask them. My review is suppose to be in August. I have no real evidence. I'm ESA CB 5 year old claim. I am seriously unwell. 
    ESA reviews are still suspended, unless you received a form in the 2 months prior to the first lockdown and didn’t have a decision on that review.

Reviews have only started back for certain people claiming UC but not everyone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The call centre staff do not seem to realise that reviews for ESA are suspended, they just look at your file and see a review date and tell you you'll get paperwork soon, that's why some people believe reviews for ESA have restarted because they have phoned the call centre. it's highly likely your claim will be either  extended or just ongoing.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    The call centre staff do not seem to realise that reviews for ESA are suspended, they just look at your file and see a review date and tell you you'll get paperwork soon, that's why some people believe reviews for ESA have restarted because they have phoned the call centre. it's highly likely your claim will be either  extended or just ongoing.

It's always ongoing anway.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @kami84

I'm so sorry to hear you feel unwell. I just wanted to check in and see if you have support around you? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kami84
    Options
    Hey Hannah. I have noone and no support at all. I'm on my own. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that @kami84

If you are feeling unwell, we of course would suggest speaking to your GP. I know how hard it can be to get an appointment, so maybe even speaking with your pharmacist may help?

If you need any mental health support. You can always refer yourself for talking therapies :) 

I know the process with benefits can be really daunting. If you wanted to speak to someone on the phone, Scope have our own Helpline
    Phone: 0808 800 3333.
    Email: helpline@scope.org.uk.
    Textphone: dial 18001 then 0808 800 3333.
    Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles.
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • kami84
    Options
    I can not reffer myself to talking therapies since I'm under community mental health who are abusing me. I can not access talking tharapies due to being misdiagnosed with dual condition. I'm currently worrying about ESA review. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I am going to send you an email :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.