my husband is my carer but a pensioner — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my husband is my carer but a pensioner

Options
jansteve
jansteve Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello. First time posting. Not sure if anyone can give any advice. I am a pensioner (just) with a full PIP . My husband started to receive his state pension a year ago. we are both not receiving a full state pension. My husband was working part time but gave this job up in April to care for me. He now works 4-5 days a month. Would he be entitled  to carers allowance as effectively his income is now halved to what it was a year ago? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    He cannot be paid Carer’s Allowance if his State Pension is more than £69.70/week.

However you may be entitled to some Pension Credit. If he applied for Carers Allowance he would establish an ‘underlying entitlement’ to CA which would mean that calculation of Pension Credit would include a carer premium. Your Pension Credit entitlement would then be £317.55/week. Pension Credit would top your joint income up to this amount if it is otherwise less than this,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jansteve
    Options
    He is literally £2.00 more than that. It seems very unfair that a pensioner caring for a pensioner cannot get any help.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2022
    Options
    jansteve said:
    He is literally £2.00 more than that. It seems very unfair that a pensioner caring for a pensioner cannot get any help.
    As per my reply, you may get help through Pension Credit (I may have been editing when you posted).

I should also apply for Council Tax Reduction from your local authority (and Housing Benefit if you are renting).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jansteve
    Options
    thank you for your help. i find it very bad that he cannot get more help. seems pensioners are the forgotton ones!!
  • calcotti
    edited September 2022
    Options
    jansteve said:
    thank you for your help. i find it very bad that he cannot get more help. seems pensioners are the forgotton ones!!
    So are you assuming that you are not entitled to any Pension Credit or Council Tax Reduction? The level of help available depends on your joint finances,
  • jansteve
    Options
    im not sure what we are entitled to. That is why i am asking the question. For some help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    jansteve said:
    im not sure what we are entitled to. That is why i am asking the question. For some help.

As calcotti has advised, it will depend on how much your state pension is combined.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    We can't help you any more unless you give us some more information. 

How much is your State Pension?

How much is your husband's State Pension?

What other income if any, do either of you have?

Apart from PIP are you receiving any other benefits?  If yes which ones and how much. 

Do your savings/capital amount to more than £10,000?  The value of your house if you live in it does not count as capital. 

• calcotti
    Options
    jansteve said:
    I have given as much advice as possible based on the information you provided
    calcotti said:?.you may be entitled to some Pension Credit. If he applied for Carers Allowance he would establish an ‘underlying entitlement’ to CA which would mean that calculation of Pension Credit would include a carer premium. Your Pension Credit entitlement would then be £317.55/week. Pension Credit would top your joint income up to this amount if it is otherwise less than this,
    calcotti said:
    I should also apply for Council Tax Reduction from your local authority (and Housing Benefit if you are renting).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.