Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Walter, here is my story so far.

Options
WalterW
WalterW Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Wassup Scope Community 🤜💚🤛. My name is Walter, ive had a really challenging 12-14 months and I feel like I'm all out of options and I'm in need of some support.

My Story: 
August 2021 I had an accident at work, I had an electric shock. This was not a normal domestic shock. I was not earthed, so the electricity travelled across my chest/head. 

My boss then  sacked me after the accident when I reported my injuries. 
My initial symptoms were tinnitus, vertigo, migraines and sensitive hearing. 

Fast forward to march 2022 and I got diagnosed with severe Bilateral invasive tinnitus, Misophonia and Hyperacusis. 
This was a devestating time for me, I realised that I would not be able to carry on as I did before as these conditions are not treatable.

I was a TV man who drove the country fixing satellite dishes and aerials , something I've done my whole adult life. 
I earned a decent wage of £40k plus 
My social life was based around festivals, raves and football. 
Now, all this has gone. 
My friend comes to see me once a week, but I haven't been out socially for a year. 

I'm not working, my social life is now Mon existent and I struggle leaving the house. 
The other day I went to the shop and this dude had a squeaky bubble in his trainer and I wanted to throw the trainers😭. 
Every car that pasees me makes me on edge, and a loud sound will induce a panic attack. 
All I've been given medically is therapy. 
I struggle with this because my triggers are sound and sound is everywhere. 

Here are some examples of sounds I can't deal with: 
High heels/shoe on hard floor 
Keys jangling 
Microwave beep 
Zips 
Shower 
Dry rustling leaves 
Birdsong by many birds 
Hand dryers 
Steam from coffee machines 
Frying food 
Squeaky brakes 
Reversing lorry 
Binmen.
Crisp packets 
Baking paper 
Sound of scissors cutting. 

Then obvious ones like ppl shouting cat horns and stuff. 

I don't enjoy anything anymore😔. If I'm in a quiet environment my tinnitus plays up, or I end up worried that a sound will occur. 
And noise is a no no. 
Earplugs do not work because they end up heightening my sensitivity. 

I've lost my identity and I don't feel any achievement in my life any more, i had cleared my debt and I was ready to buy somewhere and now that's fine too. 

I can't even walk to the shops, so how will I ever do anything more? 
I've opened up to my therapist and all I get is, " I sense you are feeling this or that" I sense that he knows I'm shafted and there's nothing for me. 
Ear Nose and Throat discharged me because there is nothing they can do, just give me anti depressants.
CBT relaxation techniques do not work because waterfall noises and the like are too much. 
An I cannot relax/meditate because of my tinnitus.

I have been trying so hard up until now to get onto a path, but I've failed. My mental health is slowly fading and I can feel myself giving up. I have been diagnosed with mental health issues from my GP and she is wonderful in trying for me. 

I'm hoping there is somebody, anybody that has suffered with these conditions that can give me some advice on some hobbies or anything.  

Thank you in advance. 
Walter 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 53,361 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @WalterW welcome to scopes forum. I'm  saddened to read that your boss fired you after you received an electric shock. Sounds like a case of unfair dismal. I'm guessing all these symptoms you have are an effect of that accident. I can't really offer any useful advice in how to deal with your conditions. It's good you have a nice gp. 
    Its a lot of every day noises that effect you, it must be hard. There are a lot of us here to natter to if you want to join In with the conversations and games. Someone might jump on the post with ideas for you.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @WalterW and welcome, thank you for joining and sharing your experiences with the community here. 

It can take a lot to make that first post, so well done for being so open and honest about how you are feeling and where you are now. I'm glad to hear that your GP is a positive support, and I'd encourage you to keep in contact with her for any concerns you might have around your health, physical or mental. 

I wonder if you could find any support from organisations like the British Tinnitus Association, where you might be able to connect with others going through something similar? 

You're welcome to use this community as well, of course, and to help our members share their thoughts I've marked your post as unanswered for now. 

If you feel we can do anything to support you further, please do ask :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options

I suffer (and suffer it is) with bilateral tinnitus, noise damage and misophonia.

My misophonia is triggered mainly by hearing people eat; they don`t have to be eating with their mouths open, just hearing them crunch a crisp or bite into a crispy apple makes me really irritated.  At the extreme end and I can start tingling, which is not a good feeling.  Things as simple as a person tapping a pencil on the table can trigger it too.

I`ve suffered bilateral tinnitus for over 20 years, with my left ear being worse.  Both ears have a single, high pitched tone but the left ear has an additional, lower, warbling tone - the combined tones drive me mad at times.  At its worst, it can feel that loud that I feel giddy and nauseous.

The noise damage is from small arms fire from when I was in the Royal Navy (SLR, 9mm pistol, SA80 and sub-machine gun), whether this cause of my tinnitus, I can`t say.

The only tip I can give about tinnitus is keep your mind busy.  I do this by using my laptop at the same time as having the TV (or music) on; I spend a lot of time on the sofa to reduce the pain in my spine (lumbar stenosis), so I put documentaries on the TV as an auditory distraction of interest; at the same time I`m fiddling with my laptop (creating / updating spreadsheets, using Google to search for recipes (I enjoy cooking authentic Indian food), reading newspapers and "window shopping".

It doesn`t stop the tinnitus, but it certainly helps to take my mind of the incessant ringing in my ears.

Andy
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.