UC managed migration guide

Comments

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 209 Connected

@poppy123456,

I recently received my migration letter, and contacted my local CAB. They are going to phone me (we’ve had a previous discussion about the process), and they have a number on which they can get straight through to a UC advisor to do my form over the telephone with me.

Mentioning this in case it might be of use to anyone who is struggling at the time they get their migration letter.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

Yes, it's the help to claim helpline. I hope you find it helpful. It's been mentioned quite a few times on other threads. See link for other members interested.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/help-to-claim/

• Needhelpandadvice
    Needhelpandadvice Posts: 78 Empowering

Hopefully someone will answer my question.

I am currently on ESA income related I think it is, I am in the support group and SDP.

I swear that I saw a video on Youtube which said that if you are on ESA and on SDP you cannot claim UC?

The reason being is that when you sign a claimant agreement, you have to agree to look for work and that you are expected to try and get your health better. So if you have depression as an example, you have to go to talking therapies and things like that.

The video that I saw, it ticked the box that said SDP and it says that you cannot claim UC.

So you have to declare yourself fit to work, just so that you get signed onto UC and then worry about being signed off while on there.

Am I wrong with this? Sadly, if they are sending out letters in September, a lot of people are going to be (insert swear words here) simply because with the run up to Christmas you might not be able to get the Citizens advice and you would not have your payments unless you apply within the first month.

My plan has always been to wait till two and a half months and then apply, as I know that once you start a claim then your money stops apart from a two week grace period, so in my eyes better to wait and get extra money and do it at the last minute just so that you can save a bit of money before hand.

Thanks, for any help given.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

@Needhelpandadvice the video that you seen was quite an old one and no longer applies. Those rules ended in January 2021.

Migration letters for those claiming Income Related ESA is planned for between Sept 2024 and Dec 2025 so it may not be in September.

Your thoughts are also incorrect as I explained in my guide here.

As you’re in the Support Group for ESA you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. It may take a few weeks for your details to be sent from ESA but once this is done your claim will be updated.

You will not be expected to look for work or attend any appointments after your first new claim appointment. Your commitments will just be to agree to report all changes.

Please do have a read of my guide here, which you can see on the first page of this thread.
    I hope this helps.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering
  • ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    ChrisSCOPEhtfc94 Community member Posts: 208 Empowering

I have been thinking 🤔 about the Job Centre. Will I have to go to the JC for an appointment? I hope it’ll be just the once, just the one time, that they’ll make me go. If they make me go, I will guess it’s just to sign something called a Claimant Commitment. As long as there are no other appointments after that. The JC is not the place for me, I CANNOT WORK. I know I don’t have go through a work capability assessment as part of the move to that infuriating “monthly frequency” benefit 🤬😡.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

As I’ve said THAT MANY times on this forum, I will asking for an APA. It’s like I always have to say something about an APA when I post anything. I am totally obsssed with posting about this topic, I am fixated. I will NOT accept monthly payments, IRRESPECTIVE of the fact that it’s more money than I get on ESA right now. I DO NOT want to just be given a payment of over £800 each calendar month and be expected to “cope”, when I know I would NOT. I should qualify based on my condition (that’s autism) and my lack of ability with budgeting/ managing money, but I must get fortnightly payments.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

Hopefully no migration notice letter will be dropping through my letter box 📪 early on. I don’t want to receive that letter about the move to that “monthly frequency” benefit early. They’ve not updated the table yet that I’ve posted an image of (from the website https://ucmove.campaign.gov.uk) but they’re meant to sending the letters out to people like me (claimants who are just in receipt of income related ESA) between this month and December of next year (2025).

They can leave me alone for as long as practically possible. Yes, I can ask for an APA and I should get it, but the design of UC is monthly and they designed it that way because they just wanted as many as possible to accept monthly payments 😡😡😡😡😡😡.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

Me too I could spend a million pound in 6 months terrible with money

• vikki66

@ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

Thanks for mentioning this.

I’ve received my migration letter (due to receiving tax credits). I’m very anxious about many aspects of UC, one of them being monthly payments. I didn’t know about APA, but I will now be asking them about it. I’m not good with money either, so would dread being made to take a monthly payment when I’m used to fortnightly ESA.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

I am not ashamed of my inability to manage money well and you shouldn’t be Catherine, it’s nothing to ashamed of.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

Just wish the DWP would respect a claimant’s inability to manage money well. Yes, we can ask for APAs, but they shouldn’t have designed it that way - monthly frequency, yuck 🤢. Income related ESA’s payment frequency is just perfect for me.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    edited September 1

Wish you the all the luck in the world with the move to that, yuck 🤢, monthly UC @vikki66. I can understand your anxiety totally. Even though I know I can ask for an APA and that I should get that request granted, UC was designed to have as many claimants as possible on that monthly frequency.

You’re welcome ☺️ - I am glad that you are now aware of APAs. You should DEFINITELY ask for an Alternative Payment Arrangement. I have known about APAs for a long time. But I can’t ever let go of my anger that the DWP would rather have as many claimants as possible accepting just the one payment per month.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    edited September 1

The DWP can’t just say to a claimant - but you’ll be getting more money on UC compared to your legacy benefit. To many, the FREQUENCY of payments is just as important.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

If the DWP looked at making any changes to UC @vikki66, they should DEFINITELY look at altering how it works for the frequency of payments.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
  • vikki66

@ChrisSCOPEhtfc94

Fortnightly works for me, not too long to wait if you overspend.

Thanks again. I’ve been stressed about the migration letter coming for months, since they sent a letter saying I’d be getting the migration letter. I’m not good at switching off from worries, and tend to ruminate 24/7 on this type of thing

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing

Universal Credit was designed to be as similar to work as possible. Most working jobs pay monthly. Most bills, such as rent, electric, water, etc, also go out monthly. So it does make more sense to get monthly payments from UC. Personally, I would prefer a monthly payment. Always found 2 weekly and 4 weekly legacy payments to be confusing, some months ending up with 2 payments, and others not getting paid before the bills go out.

I do understand that managing money is difficult for some people, and you have the option to change it as you keep saying, but I don't believe the majority of people on UC would prefer the old payment frequency.

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    edited September 1

@vikki66, I hope they don’t decide to send a migration notice letter to me until well into next year 🤣 (2025). The longer they leave me alone, the better 🤣. I don’t want that “move” to come around that fast for me, irrespective of the fact that I can ask for an APA.

• vikki66

I know people who have been migrated to monthly, who are also not great at managing money, for various reasons, and who don’t like monthly.

Everybody is different, and that’s why I think it’s important to take different needs into account.

I hope @OverlyAnxious if monthly is your preferred option that you’re able to get monthly payments.