Confused and scared — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Confused and scared

Daio Member Posts: 5 Listener
I had perthes disease as a child whch affected my ball joint of my hip 8 years old then and was told by specialist I would need hip replacement in my early 60s I 57 now so my walking is very painful. I have Achalasia where my Esophugus stopped working and the sphincter muscle closed up completely stopping me from drinking and eating I get daily probles drinking fluids and can get very dehydrated this can go on for days leaving me drained and exhausted and in severe pain. I have asthma last year my lungs fill up with fluid and I litalery couldn't breathe and because of Achalasia food contents from my stomach go into my lungs with hurts and make breathing difficult. I was severely abused as a child sexually by school teacher and bullied and beaten by my dad. I now suffer depression stress which I think is PTSD but that' my one I self diagnosed anxiety. I lay on couch all day not wanting to move. 
 I stupidly filled in ESA form myself in about 10 minutes I couldn't explain my how it affects me daily because the the bits to write in was so tiny. My money now has been suspended. My mental health nurse is going to help with appeal and hope DWP gets my medical records. I was dehydrated and in a manic state when filling in form. Can even remember what I written. I am worried sick now. Not even trying to eat losing more weight and got 5 weeks for reply off DWP. I feel suicidal but it will hurt my son. I really have had enough of worrying and being sick in pain alone. 
  The appeal process seems a ot of work and its still up to the dame people. What' The point. 


  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @Daio

    I'm so sorry to hear about everything you're going through, and I hope that we can support you in this difficult time. I'm glad that you're getting help with your appeal, although I understand that it is still incredibly stressful. If you do want some more help with appealing, would you be interested in contacting your local citizens advice?

    Have you talked to your mental health nurse or a qualified professional about not eating and feeling suicidal? It's important that you do discuss this with someone qualified so that you receive the support that you need. Here are some other resources that you might find useful:
    • If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Daio

    Im sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, it is good to hear you are getting the support of your mental health nurse in appealing.

    Let us know if there is anything we can do to support you, we have lots of information about appealing a DWP decision here.

    As Lasian says, there are places you can go to get support if you are feeling suicidal.  It is great that you have made the choice to talk about your issues, I hope you will enjoy being part of the community here :)
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hello Daio

    I can only add our support and welcome to the community as posted above.

    You mentioned that your money has been suspended.  If this is the first time that ESA has stopped (not including any times that you have successfully challenged a decision to stop benefit) then you may be able to claim ESA whilst waiting for a decision to be made on your appeal. All you need to do is send a Fit Note to ESA and ask that they re0instae benefit pending the appeal decision.

    The link above on appealing a DWP decision, includes a section on ESA and this then links to a series of descriptors. These descriptors are worth looking at as they will help you challenge the decision to stop ESA. 

    Please post again if you need help.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.