Text received saying I have been awarded PIP, should I be worried that I haven't been paid? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Text received saying I have been awarded PIP, should I be worried that I haven't been paid?

Options
TrueBlue02
TrueBlue02 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Afternoon all! Hope you are all doing well and keeping cool this week with the weather we're having! I'm Sam and I recently applied for PIP (around April time) and had my Telephone assessment in June. I was offered the chance to get a copy of my report the very day after and it arrived within the week, and come Monday this week I got a text from DWP stating the following:

"We have awarded you PIP. We have sent you a decision letter explaining the award. Please allow 2 weeks to receive this. You only need to contact us if your circumstances change."

I'm over the moon with this as this summer was looking to be a real worry for me financially and this will help me put the support in place to help me and my family with my needs. 

My only concern is that during all the extensive research I underwent throughout this whole process, I have seen that most people get paid before the decision letter, and I haven't really heard many reports of people getting a text confirmation of their PIP outcome. I was concerned as I haven't received any money in my bank yet, am I just overthinking things and the money could/should appear within the next two weeks before the letter? Or are things different these days and you only receive the money once the letter has come?

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to control my emotions and keep calm, I'm normally one to overthink and get myself worked up so some informative reassurance should go a long way :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I have seen that most people get paid before the decision letter, and I haven't really heard many reports of people getting a text confirmation of their PIP outcome. I was concerned as I haven't received any money in my bank yet, am I just overthinking things and the money could/should appear within the next two weeks before the letter?

Payment usually goes into your bank 3-5 working days after payment is made and yes, usually before the decision letter is received. These text messages from DWP for awards is a new thing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @trueblue02 :) There's no need to apologise- we all need some reassurance sometimes, and the PIP process can be really stressful! 

There appears to be some inconsistency with the texts people receive, so I wouldn't worry too much about that (easier said than done, I realise!).

It's worth keeping an eye on your bank account to see if the money comes through first, but the decision letter will confirm your award. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. 

How have you found the process as a whole so far?

Please do keep us updated on your situation.

I can also be prone to overthinking, so I'd encourage you to try and do something you usually find relaxing, or a positive distraction, if you can. Is there an activity you could do that usually helps you to stay calm? 

You'd also be welcome to take your mind off of things by taking part in some friendly chatter in our coffee lounge :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • TrueBlue02
    Options
    Welcome to the community @trueblue02 :) There's no need to apologise- we all need some reassurance sometimes, and the PIP process can be really stressful! 

There appears to be some inconsistency with the texts people receive, so I wouldn't worry too much about that (easier said than done, I realise!).

It's worth keeping an eye on your bank account to see if the money comes through first, but the decision letter will confirm your award. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. 

How have you found the process as a whole so far?

Please do keep us updated on your situation.

I can also be prone to overthinking, so I'd encourage you to try and do something you usually find relaxing, or a positive distraction, if you can. Is there an activity you could do that usually helps you to stay calm? 

You'd also be welcome to take your mind off of things by taking part in some friendly chatter in our coffee lounge :)
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it means a lot. When you say inconsistencies with the texts I hope you don't mean with the texts saying I've been awarded it when I fact I may not have it awarded? 

I've found the process okay tbh! Hardest part has been the waiting in between stages and the fact the DWP seem to be near impossible to call at times 🤣

I may have to join you guys in the coffee lounge for some chatting to take my mind off things, luckily my dogs are keeping me happy for now as well as the few hobbies I can still do

• poppy123456
    Options
    The texts being sent out saying people have been awarded is quite a new change. I’ve not heard of any stories where anyone has received a text in error. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    When you say inconsistencies with the texts I hope you don't mean with the texts saying I've been awarded it when I fact I may not have it awarded? 
    Sorry for the confusion @trueblue02- that's not what I meant! I meant that not everyone seems to be receiving them, and that it seems to be a newer thing, as poppy123456 has said. I hope that makes sense.

I'm glad the process hasn't been too bad for you so far :)

It'd be great to see you over in the coffee lounge. Do you mind me asking what kind of hobbies you enjoy?

P.S. dog pictures or stories are always welcome ;)

• TrueBlue02
    Options
    When you say inconsistencies with the texts I hope you don't mean with the texts saying I've been awarded it when I fact I may not have it awarded? 
    Sorry for the confusion @trueblue02- that's not what I meant! I meant that not everyone seems to be receiving them, and that it seems to be a newer thing, as poppy123456 has said. I hope that makes sense.

I'm glad the process hasn't been too bad for you so far :)

It'd be great to see you over in the coffee lounge. Do you mind me asking what kind of hobbies you enjoy?

P.S. dog pictures or stories are always welcome ;)
    Ah no worries thanks for clearing that up. Definitely feeling cleared up now 🙂.

Yeah it hasn't been that bad thankfully, I have just tried to remain calm and positive throughout.

And sure! My hobbies consist of writing, making music, analysing films and songs, a bit of light gaming and brainteasing, and when I can getting to take my dearest Ellie out on walks, she's a German shepherd, I'll have to link some pics soon in the coffee lounge perhaps haha!
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Great @TrueBlue02 :) 

Remaining calm and positive is usually a good plan!

Those are some great hobbies. We have quite a few gamers, film, and music fans on the community, so I'm sure you'll be able to connect with people who have similar interests! What kind of music do you make? 
    I'll have to link some pics soon in the coffee lounge perhaps haha!
    I wouldn't complain! German shepherds are lovely.

• Newtothis93
    Newtothis93 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    @TrueBlue02 just wondering if you can update on where you are with your position now it's been 10 days. I'm in the same place where I got a text yesterday saying I would receive PIP and i'd get a letter within 2 weeks, but i'm just not sure what to expect time frame wise. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @TrueBlue02 just wondering if you can update on where you are with your position now it's been 10 days. I'm in the same place where I got a text yesterday saying I would receive PIP and i'd get a letter within 2 weeks, but i'm just not sure what to expect time frame wise. 
    If it’s a first time PIP claim and you’re not transferring from DLA then payment usually goes into your bank before the decision letter arrives. Once payment is made it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank. 
  • poll
    poll Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I got the same txt Monday n
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    poll said:
    I got the same txt Monday n
    Hello :) Thank you for sharing that you received the same text as @TrueBlue02 and @Newtothis93. Are you yet to receive a payment or decision letter?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Blueyes84
    Blueyes84 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Afternoon all! Hope you are all doing well and keeping cool this week with the weather we're having! I'm Sam and I recently applied for PIP (around April time) and had my Telephone assessment in June. I was offered the chance to get a copy of my report the very day after and it arrived within the week, and come Monday this week I got a text from DWP stating the following:

"We have awarded you PIP. We have sent you a decision letter explaining the award. Please allow 2 weeks to receive this. You only need to contact us if your circumstances change."

I'm over the moon with this as this summer was looking to be a real worry for me financially and this will help me put the support in place to help me and my family with my needs. 

My only concern is that during all the extensive research I underwent throughout this whole process, I have seen that most people get paid before the decision letter, and I haven't really heard many reports of people getting a text confirmation of their PIP outcome. I was concerned as I haven't received any money in my bank yet, am I just overthinking things and the money could/should appear within the next two weeks before the letter? Or are things different these days and you only receive the money once the letter has come?

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to control my emotions and keep calm, I'm normally one to overthink and get myself worked up so some informative reassurance should go a long way :)
    Have you received your letter and payment now? If so how long did it take after the text?
  • Bambi19
    Bambi19 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I also received a text like this. Does anyone know how long after the text payment appears in bank
  • Bambi19
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456. Sorry for sounding thick, but is the text meaning that payment has been made
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would expect payment to have been made once the decision was made.
  • Bambi19
    Options
    @BarbaraR92 thanks that's really helpful. 
  • nattyb
    nattyb Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Bambi19 said:
    Thank you @poppy123456. Sorry for sounding thick, but is the text meaning that payment has been made
    exactly my question too, thanks :)
  • M_1967
    M_1967 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    I received a text confirming  my award today (19 Sept 2022).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.